GSM SIM card

• norris
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #143 by norris
GSM SIM card was created by norris
I am keen to buy the Opis 60s mobile SIM driven phone. I live in Australia and I don't believe we have the GSM network anymore. All the market SIMS available are 3G. Will this phone still work using a 3G SIM card instead of a GSM SIM card?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
More
9 years 11 months ago #144 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: GSM SIM card
Hello Norris,

Telstra, Optus and Vodafone all support GSM-900/1800 (which is one of the modes the Opis 60s mobile uses) so there should be no problem (Reference: Wikipedia ).

As regards the SIM-card, usually all SIM cards of a certain provider support all network modes, so you can use 3G, but you don't have to. In fact, just for voice, the older 2G (or GSM-900/1800) often has better coverage and many 3G capable phones automatically switch to 2G for voice calls.

There is one factor to consider for SIM-cards, and that is their size. The Opis 60s mobile uses a mini-SIM, but can easily work with micro-SIM or nano-SIM when using an adapter that any phone shop will sell you for a dollar or so. See SIM card sizes for more details.

So in short, the Opis 60s mobile should work fine in Australia with either Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.

Best regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.